February 16, 2015

My New favorite RED


I know it has been a while, I seem to be saying that more and more lately. Having a shop has definitely taken it's toll in the time department. I think I have things a bit more settled and in a little more of a routine so I can get back to showing some fun projects. One such projects is this bed! I had picked it up during a thrift shopping spree about a year ago for $50! 

The finials caught my eye from across the store and I ran to get it before anyone else could. They didn't even have the footboard out yet that is how fast I snatched it up!


But it had these little birds on it that I didn't love and the bed was in fantastic shape so it came home with me and then sat in my basement. Once I got the shop, I figured I would try to sell it as is and it sold the first day! The gentleman who purchased it, Patrick, did not like the birds either! He wanted me to paint the bed somehow so the birds were covered but keep some of the wood and He wanted it red.
I love a person who is not afraid of color!

Those little finials reminded me of pagodas so I went searching for a great Chinese red.


I love this red! It is called Licorice Stick by Behr. It is a gorgeous deep but vibrant red and because I used the Marquee line of paints it went on so smooth and even it only took me two coats. I know Marquee says one coat coverage but I prefer two for durability.

It made the wood pop right out of its grain! And on top of it, the top piece with the birds really looks like a pagoda or the Emperor's City which I hadn't really noticed before because all of the wood was running together. This is one of those times when I think paint enhanced the lines of the piece but because we didn't paint the whole thing, the wood still was able to shine.

I picked strategic places to paint so the whole bed and design looked cohesive.


Patrick asked me to add some gold to the bed in places as well so I covered the red lightly with a coat of gold glaze and then added just the gold to some other details to further highlight the beds cool features

You can see the gold on the little triangle below the finial. 

 I loved how the bed turned out and Patrick sent me some photos of it all set up in his guest bedroom! 

Patrick liked the bed so much he asked me to make him some slipcovers for his living room chairs AND his dining room chairs.

Stop back to see the chair transformation and to see some new things added to the shop!


Always being renewed,



Please see the link party page to see where I link arms with those blissfully beautiful bloggers that host every week. So gracious they are along with these other sweet ladies!
DIY Show Off  Todays Creative Blog vif187 all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours! {5/1} Home Stories A2Z  
We Would Love For You To Join Us Each Wednesday... southern hospitalityFunky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

My Repurposed Life My Uncommon Slice of SuburbialollipopsThree Mango Seeds  Mod Vintage Life  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lay it on me! i love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...